Can an Urgent Care Perform a DOT Physical?
Urgent care centers are not just for the seasonal flu or strained muscles. They are also good resources to utilize for different types of physical examinations, whether it be a general wellness physical, a sports physical or a DOT physical. DOT physicals are required for safety purposes; they ensure individuals are healthy enough. When an individual passes a DOT physical, it means they are less likely to suffer from an accident while operating a commercial vehicle.
Many individuals are surprised to learn that DOT physicals can be performed at urgent care, but it is actually pretty common to have them done in such facilities. Below is an overview of DOT physicals and how they are performed at an urgent care center. Individuals preparing for this type of physical should carefully review the following information.
Getting a DOT physical at an urgent care center
DOT physical defined
A DOT physical refers to a medical exam required by the department of transportation. It is required for individuals who operate commercial vehicles, such as buses, trucks and emergency vehicles. The exam is done on a regular basis to ensure compliance and safety. A DOT physical is a bit more involved than a traditional wellness physical. However, the entire process can be completed pretty quickly, especially when done at an urgent care center.
What to expect from urgent care
When visiting an urgent care center for a DOT physical, individuals should expect to undergo the following:
- Health history review: any pre-existing conditions and medical concerns should be disclosed during this portion of the physical.
- Drug screening: individuals are tested for drugs and alcohol to ensure compliance with DOT protocols. The screening may be done using urinalysis or blood work.
- Vision test: DOT workers must have good vision in order to safely operate commercial vehicles. The urgent care physician will perform a vision test to identify any deficiencies that may require contacts or glasses.
- Hearing test: just as the eyes are important, the ears are equally essential when operating a commercial vehicle. The hearing test will consist of beeps and rings that must be identified promptly.
- Physical exam: the eyes, ears, nose and mouth will each be carefully examined for any abnormalities. Additionally, the legs, arms and abdomen will be checked for any swelling, bumps, rashes, etc. Breathing rhythms, blood pressure and heartbeat will also be checked to ensure that everything is working normally.
Individuals who decide to visit an urgent care for their DOT physical should expect a seamless appointment. Typically, urgent care centers have more availability than a traditional doctor's office, which can make for quicker turn-around times on testings and screenings. Additionally, it may be easier to get in for the examination, which is helpful because DOT physicals are required on a regular basis.
Get started today
When needing a DOT physical, visiting an urgent care center is a great idea. The process is quick, seamless and much more affordable than visiting a traditional doctor's office. To find out more about getting a DOT physical from an urgent care center, reach out today. Any questions or concerns can be appropriately addressed, and an appointment can be scheduled.
Request an appointment here: https://eldridgeclinic.com or call Eldridge Family Clinic at (281) 946-1351 for an appointment in our Houston office.
Check out what others are saying about our services on Yelp: Urgent Care in Houston, TX.
When it comes to pneumonia, you need the services of a primary care provider or urgent care center. While your regular doctor may be booked for the whole week, a walk-in clinic can see you on a moment’s notice. If you are coughing frequently or see unreasonably tired, you may have pneumonia. Keep reading to…
Finding out what types of pediatric illnesses an urgent care center can treat is a great idea. As a parent, you just never know when your child is going to become ill or get sick, which means you should always be prepared. While it is ideal for you to be able to take your child to…
Wondering what to do when needing minor injury treatment? Examples of minor injuries include sprains, strains, insect bites, animal bites, minor cuts and allergic reactions. When someone is experiencing a minor injury, treatment is often necessary.Learning when minor injury treatment is necessary is important, as not all minor injuries require medical attention. When someone is…
Many individuals are surprised to learn what urgent care centers can do. While they are primarily a place to visit when you have a fever or a sprained ankle, they are also a great place to get a physical of any kind, including general physicals, sports physicals and DOT physicals. A DOT physical is needed when…